Bug 7852 - (int-152899) After every boot the phone switches to the default theme
(int-152899)
: After every boot the phone switches to the default theme
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Product: Desktop platform
Themes
: 5.0/(3.2010.02-8)
: N900 Maemo
: Low normal with 11 votes (vote)
: 5.0/(10.2010.19-1)
Assigned To: unassigned
: themes-bugs
:
:
:
:
  Show dependency tree
 
Reported: 2010-01-12 13:56 UTC by EC
Modified: 2010-03-15 20:54 UTC (History)
7 users (show)

See Also:


Attachments


Note

You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.


Description EC (reporter) 2010-01-12 13:56:23 UTC
SOFTWARE VERSION: 1.2009.44-1 (This bug was not present in the 1.2009.42-11, it
appeared after the firmware update)

EXACT STEPS LEADING TO PROBLEM: 
1. Click on one of your desktops (in an empty space) and click on the Desktop
settings button appearing on the upper right corner of the screen
2. Press the status bar and select Themes for changing the current theme
3. Select a theme (not the default one, I actually use Melody downloaded from
Ovi)
4. Apply the theme
5. Reboot your phone (through X-Term or manually, it doesn't make any
difference)

EXPECTED OUTCOME: after the reboot, the theme you have selected is still there

ACTUAL OUTCOME: after the reboot, the phone switchs back to the default Nokia
NSeries theme (the blue one, not Digital Nature)

REPRODUCIBILITY: always with 1.2009.44-1

EXTRA SOFTWARE INSTALLED: lots of themes from Ovi Store

OTHER COMMENTS: this bug appeared for the first time when the phone rebooted
itself after the firmware upgrade to the 1.2009.44-1 version. I thought it was
normal after that kind of update, but it still happens after every reboot and
this is not normal.
Comment 1 Venomrush 2010-01-12 14:01:12 UTC
Which theme does it default to?
Comment 2 EC (reporter) 2010-01-12 14:04:35 UTC
For "Default theme" I mean the one called Nokia Nseries in the themes list (I
think it is called "alpha" in the root theme directory). Ah, I've forgotten to
say that the wallpaper doesn't switch back to the default one, it remains the
one from the theme you have selected at point 3.
Comment 3 Fredrik Söderlund 2010-01-12 14:37:35 UTC
I have exactly the same issue.

Themes installed:
Nokia Nseries
Digital Nature
Harmony
Melody
Word City
Steel
BlkWhite
Comment 4 EC (reporter) 2010-01-12 15:05:57 UTC
(In reply to comment #3)
> I have exactly the same issue.
> 
> Themes installed:
> Nokia Nseries
> Digital Nature
> Harmony
> Melody
> Word City
> Steel
> BlkWhite
> 

Happy to hear that, this thing is driving me crazy I thought I was the only one
with that. Of course I'm not really happy, I feel sorry for both of us! ;)
By the way, I've got all of your themes installed, plus two or three, but I
don't think it is important because the bug came the first time when they were
not installed yet (with the first reboot after the update, when my themes were
just 4: the default one, Digital Nature, Maemo.org and Reflect).
Comment 5 Fredrik Söderlund 2010-01-12 15:53:09 UTC
(In reply to comment #4)
> Happy to hear that, this thing is driving me crazy I thought I was the only one
> with that. Of course I'm not really happy, I feel sorry for both of us! ;)

I was going to file this bug myself, but I was relieved when I found out that
it was already in the tracker. Hopefully (not really), there are more people
with this problem we can feel sorry for.

> By the way, I've got all of your themes installed, plus two or three, but I
> don't think it is important because the bug came the first time when they were
> not installed yet (with the first reboot after the update, when my themes were
> just 4: the default one, Digital Nature, Maemo.org and Reflect).
> 

Right, this occurred when I installed the update. I was using Digital Nature,
and after the automatic restart, it had switched to Nokia Nseries. However, the
wallpaper was still the same as before.
Comment 6 EC (reporter) 2010-01-12 15:59:10 UTC
> Right, this occurred when I installed the update. I was using Digital Nature,
> and after the automatic restart, it had switched to Nokia Nseries. However, the
> wallpaper was still the same as before.

I was using Digital Nature too, it would be interesting to know which theme the
others with this bug used before this update. I'll open a thread in Talk (of
course with a link to this bug) for investigating.
Comment 7 Fredrik Söderlund 2010-01-12 17:22:58 UTC
kanishou provided a solution.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=40211

I tried it, and it works. :)
Comment 8 Andre Klapper maemo.org 2010-01-12 17:42:07 UTC
Confirmed.
Comment 9 EC (reporter) 2010-01-12 21:44:58 UTC
(In reply to comment #7)
> kanishou provided a solution.
> 
> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=40211
> 
> I tried it, and it works. :)
> 

Just tried it, doesn't work for me. It works with Digital Nature, so that if
I'm using Digital Nature it remains after rebooting, but if I use Melody it
returns to default after rebooting... I've also noticed that sometimes, if I
change my theme just after rebooting, Crash Reporter says that
"personalisation" has crashed. Should I send core dumps including this bug
number? Do you think these things are linked somehow?
Comment 10 Fredrik Söderlund 2010-01-12 22:55:17 UTC
(In reply to comment #9)
> Just tried it, doesn't work for me. It works with Digital Nature, so that if
> I'm using Digital Nature it remains after rebooting, but if I use Melody it
> returns to default after rebooting...

It seems like Digital Nature isn't affected by the bug. Before I edited the
file, I rebooted with Digital Nature and there was no issues. Then I swiched
theme to Melody and rebooted. The N900 booted with the Nokia Nseries theme.

After I edited /etc/event.d/hildon-control-panel-personalisation according to
kanishou's post, the problem went away.


When the theme changed the first time after fw upgrade, that might have been an
one-time occurance. It is possible that we are dealing with two different bugs.

> I've also noticed that sometimes, if I
> change my theme just after rebooting, Crash Reporter says that
> "personalisation" has crashed. Should I send core dumps including this bug
> number? Do you think these things are linked somehow?
> 

I don't know. I'm to nooby to answer that. :)
Comment 11 EC (reporter) 2010-01-14 13:35:26 UTC
Updating the version field, I'm able to reproduce this bug after the new fw
upgrade PR1.1. Wow 7 votes, this bug seems to be common. In your opinion,
should I keep the modified hildon-control-panel-personalisation file, or should
I delete it and restore the default one?
Comment 12 Konstantinos Pavlou 2010-01-16 02:35:47 UTC
I have the exact same issue with the Melody and Harmony themes. I edited the
hildon-control-panel-personalisation as mentioned, but that didn't work. I
restored the original file again.
Comment 13 EC (reporter) 2010-01-16 12:44:03 UTC
(In reply to comment #12)
> I have the exact same issue with the Melody and Harmony themes. I edited the
> hildon-control-panel-personalisation as mentioned, but that didn't work. I
> restored the original file again.
> 

Could you try if you are able to experience this bug even with the Word City
theme? You can find it in the Ovi Store. By the way, I'm restoring the original
file too.
Comment 14 Konstantinos Pavlou 2010-01-16 13:17:48 UTC
(In reply to comment #13)
> Could you try if you are able to experience this bug even with the Word City
> theme? You can find it in the Ovi Store. By the way, I'm restoring the original
> file too.

Yes. I just installed it and it also switches to Nseries theme.
Comment 15 EC (reporter) 2010-01-16 13:32:38 UTC
(In reply to comment #14)
> (In reply to comment #13)
> > Could you try if you are able to experience this bug even with the Word City
> > theme? You can find it in the Ovi Store. By the way, I'm restoring the original
> > file too.
> Yes. I just installed it and it also switches to Nseries theme.

Thanks for your help. A list with the themes that are affected by this bug
should be helpful. Until now, they are:
- Melody
- Harmony
- Word City
Comment 16 Andre Klapper maemo.org 2010-01-18 12:01:08 UTC
*** Bug 8040 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 17 Tuomo Tanskanen 2010-01-18 16:29:03 UTC
Notably, this does NOT happen with Reflect theme from Extras. Word City
disappears on my device too.
Comment 18 bugs.maemo.org@falkensweb.com 2010-01-18 17:49:07 UTC
The workaround from the forum works for me, with the World City theme.
Comment 19 Tuomo Tanskanen 2010-01-24 17:38:00 UTC
It looks like optified themes (Word City, Harmony etc from Ovi) revert back to
default, but not non-optified (Defaults, Reflect). Maybe /opt isn't mounted
in-time?
Comment 20 EC (reporter) 2010-01-25 14:01:54 UTC
(In reply to comment #19)
> It looks like optified themes (Word City, Harmony etc from Ovi) revert back to
> default, but not non-optified (Defaults, Reflect). Maybe /opt isn't mounted
> in-time?
> 

Not all the optified themes revert back to default, e.g: Black and White,
Clowns, Alpine, Sunset and Steel are optified but do not revert. 
But, these themes are significantly smaller than the reverting themes... Maybe
optified reverting themes change something in the system GUI (not changed in
the smallest themes) that can't be mounted in time from /opt.
Comment 21 Andre Klapper maemo.org 2010-01-28 14:27:11 UTC
This has been fixed in package
hildon-control-panel-personalisation 1.2.32-1+0m5
which is part of the internal build version
2010.04-4
(Note: 2009/2010 is the year, and the number after is the week.)

A future public update released with the year/week later than this internal
build version will include the fix. (This is not always already the next public
update.)
Please verify that this new version fixes the bug by marking this bug report as
VERIFIED after the public update has been released and if you have some time.


To answer popular followup questions:
 * Nokia does not announce release dates of public updates in advance.
 * There is currently no access to these internal, non-public build versions.
   A Brainstorm proposal to change this exists at
http://maemo.org/community/brainstorm/view/undelayed_bugfix_releases_for_nokia_open_source_packages-002/
Comment 22 Andre Klapper maemo.org 2010-02-16 14:07:03 UTC
The problem reported here should be fixed in the update released today for
public: The Maemo5 update version 3.2010.02-8 (also called "PR1.1.1"
sometimes).
Please leave a comment if the problem is not fixed for you in this update
version.
Comment 23 EC (reporter) 2010-02-16 14:34:35 UTC
Bug not fixed in PR1.1.1 (bug still exist with Word City, Melody, Harmony,
etc.. Exactly like before).

Reopening
Comment 24 EC (reporter) 2010-02-16 14:35:25 UTC
Please set appropriate target mileston (5+), I've not enough powers.
Comment 25 Andre Klapper maemo.org 2010-02-16 14:42:08 UTC
Thanks for retesting.

To explain my wrong assumption here:
There was an internal comment by a tester stating "Tested with PR1.1.1 image
3.2010.02-2. The issue is not reproducible".
The official comment that this issue is **fixed** though refered to the
internal version 2010.04-4.
So I guess that the tester didn't do his job well.
Correcting Version & Target Milestone.
Comment 26 Venomrush 2010-02-17 04:49:10 UTC
I am running PR1.1 and never have this problem before until I did some mocking
about moving stuff to /home/opt including the /user/share/themes 

Since moving themes to /opt it changes to default theme at random when I enter
Application Manager.
Comment 27 bugs.maemo.org@falkensweb.com 2010-02-18 20:31:27 UTC
People with otherwise un-"mucked about" devices are having this happen,
however.
Comment 28 Andre Klapper maemo.org 2010-03-15 20:54:19 UTC
Setting explicit PR1.2 milestone (so it's clearer in which public release the
fix will be available to users).

Sorry for the bugmail noise (you can filter on this message).