Bug 7505 - Claims to be free, but ships no license and says 'You are NOT allowed to modify or redistribute the source code.'
: Claims to be free, but ships no license and says 'You are NOT allowed to modi...
Status: ASSIGNED
Product: Mauku
Application
: 2.x
: All Maemo
: High blocker with 7 votes (vote)
: ---
Assigned To: Henrik Hedberg (Innologies)
: general-bugs
:
:
:
:
  Show dependency tree
 
Reported: 2009-12-30 20:53 UTC by Gustavo Noronha
Modified: 2012-02-17 09:15 UTC (History)
4 users (show)

See Also:


Attachments


Note

You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.


Description Gustavo Noronha (reporter) 2009-12-30 20:53:06 UTC
I installed mauku from the maemo extras free repository, believing it was Free
Software, but trying to figure out which license it is under, I noticed there
is no license file at all, and file headers have the following message:

/* Mauku 2.0 (c) Henrik Hedberg <hhedberg@innologies.fi> 
   You are NOT allowed to modify or redistribute the source code. */

The debian/copyright file also says this:

Mauku 2.0 is NOT open source software. You are NOT allowed to
modify or redistribute the source code.

I believe it should at least be moved to the non-free section, and stop
claiming it ships with a free license in its download page.
Comment 1 Gustavo Noronha (reporter) 2010-01-26 14:57:19 UTC
It looks like Mauku migrated to Extras, is still in the free repository, and is
still listed as having a FOSS license. Is this taken seriously at all, or
should I start checking every single application to make sure I'm not using or
trying to contribute to non-free apps?
Comment 2 Jeremiah C. Foster 2010-01-26 21:11:24 UTC
I will forward this to the maemo-dev list to see if we can't get some answers
here. To my mind, this is not free software, but you must remember there are no
formal requirements for Maemo as their are for debian for example.

Jeremiah
Comment 3 Gustavo Noronha (reporter) 2010-01-26 21:25:29 UTC
(In reply to comment #2)
> I will forward this to the maemo-dev list to see if we can't get some answers

Thank you very much!

> here. To my mind, this is not free software, but you must remember there are no
> formal requirements for Maemo as their are for debian for example.

That's fine with me, as long as information regarding that is correct, and the
software is in the appropriate section of the repository. It's just that if
Mauku is not free software I have no interest in writing patches for it, and I
could have wasted my time if I had trusted the information provided in
maemo.org, and not checked the license before starting.
Comment 4 Henrik Hedberg 2010-01-26 23:10:00 UTC
   Mauku 2.0 is not free as open source software (Mauku 0.x was under GPL). It
is mainly based on Microfeed library written by me and licensed under LGPL, but
the application itself is not licensed under any OSI compliant license.

   I am very aware of the meaning "free" here. Mauku was uploaded into the free
section because there was (is) no non-free repository in Extras. However, the
community insisted to close all external repositories and use Extras instead
(done that). In addition, Ovi Store was not (is not, it is still beta)
available for distribution channel.

   My humble intention was to provide my software for Maemo users (and
maemo.org members) through the channel they are aware and in a way that should
cause least problems. Feel free to remove it (completely, please, in that case)
or move to non-free section in Extras (not in extras-devel or extras-testing)
and provide a guidance how to upgrade it later. Naturally, the latter is
better.
Comment 5 Henrik Hedberg 2010-01-26 23:13:57 UTC
(In reply to comment #3)
> That's fine with me, as long as information regarding that is correct, and the
> software is in the appropriate section of the repository. It's just that if
> Mauku is not free software I have no interest in writing patches for it, and I
> could have wasted my time if I had trusted the information provided in
> maemo.org, and not checked the license before starting.

If someone _really_ is going to provide (significant) patches, I could change
the license. See this post in TMO:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=314701&postcount=37

Please, notice also that most of the functionality is based on Microfeed
library that is under LGPL.
Comment 6 Gustavo Noronha (reporter) 2010-01-27 00:09:50 UTC
(In reply to comment #4)
>    Mauku 2.0 is not free as open source software (Mauku 0.x was under GPL). It
> is mainly based on Microfeed library written by me and licensed under LGPL, but
> the application itself is not licensed under any OSI compliant license.

That's a pitty =(.

>    I am very aware of the meaning "free" here. Mauku was uploaded into the free
> section because there was (is) no non-free repository in Extras. However, the
> community insisted to close all external repositories and use Extras instead
> (done that). In addition, Ovi Store was not (is not, it is still beta)
> available for distribution channel.

There is a non-free repository, it seems. These are the instructions you need,
I guess:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Uploading_to_Extras#.22non-free.22_packages

I guess you'll also have to figure out how to change the description of the
license on maemo.org. Am I missing something?

>    My humble intention was to provide my software for Maemo users (and
> maemo.org members) through the channel they are aware and in a way that should
> cause least problems. Feel free to remove it (completely, please, in that case)
> or move to non-free section in Extras (not in extras-devel or extras-testing)
> and provide a guidance how to upgrade it later. Naturally, the latter is
> better.

I am not questioning your intent, I just want information to be correct. I may
take a look at Microfeed, but I'm afraid the issues that bug me are more UI
issues than backend. Since I have my own projects to take care, I don't want to
say I'll provide 'significant' patches, and get myself tied to a promise I may
not be able to fulfil, my intention was to only fix minor issues I have, like I
said. So, I guess fixing the information to be correct will make everyone
happy, and we can go on with our lives =).
Comment 7 Henrik Hedberg 2010-01-27 09:40:16 UTC
(In reply to comment #6)
> There is a non-free repository, it seems. These are the instructions you need,
> I guess:
> 
> http://wiki.maemo.org/Uploading_to_Extras#.22non-free.22_packages
> 
> I guess you'll also have to figure out how to change the description of the
> license on maemo.org. Am I missing something?

   Please, note the difference between extras-devel and extras. There is no QA
or queue from extras-devel to extras currently. As I said, "[t]here have not
been any discussion, announcements or instructions how to really handle QA in
the non-free section." Thus, the non-free section in Extras does not officially
exists. There is only procedures how to upload software into extras-devel, and
apparently some hidden procedures how to get it into extras.
Comment 8 Gustavo Noronha (reporter) 2010-02-22 11:55:19 UTC
(In reply to comment #7)
>    Please, note the difference between extras-devel and extras. There is no QA
> or queue from extras-devel to extras currently. As I said, "[t]here have not
> been any discussion, announcements or instructions how to really handle QA in
> the non-free section." Thus, the non-free section in Extras does not officially
> exists. There is only procedures how to upload software into extras-devel, and
> apparently some hidden procedures how to get it into extras.
> 

It looks like nobody cares too much to take action, but I believe it's on you
to figure that out, and make it happen. Misleading users is not very honest of
you, and Maemo, and I don't think lack of convenience provided by the project
is a good excuse to keep doing it.
Comment 9 Henrik Hedberg (Innologies) 2010-02-22 12:17:46 UTC
There was a discussion in the maemo-developers mailing list:

http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-developers/2010-January/024152.html

However, nothing concrete happened - as usual.

Unfortunately, I do not have permissions to move the package to non-free
section nor to remove it from free section.
Comment 10 Henrik Hedberg (Innologies) 2012-02-17 09:15:30 UTC
(In reply to comment #5)

> If someone _really_ is going to provide (significant) patches, I could change
> the license. See this post in TMO:
> 
> http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=314701&postcount=37
> 
> Please, notice also that most of the functionality is based on Microfeed
> library that is under LGPL.

I repeat my offer: If someone is willing to maintain the application, I will
release the code under GPL with some other name. Currently, Mauku is not
maintained nor supported in any way.