Bug 6859 - Contacts unmerge when signing in to im network
: Contacts unmerge when signing in to im network
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Product: Contacts
General
: 5.0/(2.2009.51-1)
: N900 Windows
: Unspecified normal with 25 votes (vote)
: 5.0/(10.2010.19-1)
Assigned To: unassigned
: contacts-bugs
:
:
:
:
  Show dependency tree
 
Reported: 2009-12-11 16:35 UTC by Geert
Modified: 2010-05-28 21:22 UTC (History)
22 users (show)

See Also:


Attachments
Duplicated account screenshot (139.44 KB, image/png)
2010-01-23 03:25 UTC, Peter Oliver
Details


Note

You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.


Description Geert (reporter) 2009-12-11 16:35:29 UTC
SOFTWARE VERSION:
1.2009.42-11

EXACT STEPS LEADING TO PROBLEM: 
1. Merge a contact with the contacts im account which was received after
signing in to im network.
2. Sign out of im network
3. Signing in to im network again. Contact is unmerged again and step one has
to be done again.

EXPECTED OUTCOME:
Contact stays merged as intended

ACTUAL OUTCOME:
Contact unmerges when the merged im account is pulled from the server

REPRODUCIBILITY:
5/10

EXTRA SOFTWARE INSTALLED:
account plugin haze

OTHER COMMENTS:

User-Agent:       Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET
CLR 1.1.4322; InfoPath.1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30)
Comment 1 Andre Klapper maemo.org 2009-12-11 17:22:15 UTC
*** Bug 6832 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 2 corwin 2009-12-12 13:11:56 UTC
This happened to me after a reflash and restore, all contacts were unmerged.
The restore of course was from close to the reflash, so the contacts were
already merged at time of backup.
Comment 3 corwin 2009-12-12 13:12:17 UTC
*** This bug has been confirmed by popular vote. ***
Comment 4 Jörgen Scheibengruber nokia 2009-12-14 09:58:57 UTC
Unless this is reproducable with GTalk, this would be a bug in telepathy-haze i
guess.
Comment 5 Geert (reporter) 2009-12-14 10:05:51 UTC
I think it happens when a contact changes their nickname. I don't know if that
is also reproduced with gtalk, will try that later today.
Comment 6 krk969 2009-12-14 10:17:39 UTC
(In reply to comment #5)
> I think it happens when a contact changes their nickname. I don't know if that
> is also reproduced with gtalk, will try that later today.
> 

yes it happens with GTalk, thats the only IM service Ive got on my phone.
ill try changing my nickname and see if it re-occurs, will post pack.
Comment 7 daan 2009-12-29 12:24:23 UTC
Unmerging occurs:
1. sometimes when logging out and back in to an IM network
2. sometimes when synchronising contacts (for example Google using MfE)
3. sometimes when changing network connection (might refer to 1.)
4. sometimes when long time idle (battery drain)

The hardest part is in the 'sometimes', as it makes the problem harder to
track.
The above currently renders the entire merging functionality useless. A shame
really as I see it as one of the core features of the N900 contact system.
Comment 8 Andre Klapper maemo.org 2009-12-31 17:43:46 UTC
(In reply to comment #2)
> This happened to me after a reflash and restore, all contacts were unmerged.

After restoring this is a known issue and will be fixed in the next release (it
was fixed in 2.2009.42-7 but not included in 1.2009.42-11 - int-133842).


Geert, your issue is unrelated to a restore from backup, right?
Comment 9 Andre Klapper maemo.org 2010-01-18 20:32:17 UTC
(In reply to comment #8)
> Geert, your issue is unrelated to a restore from backup, right?

moreinfo as per my question.
Comment 10 Peter Oliver 2010-01-18 21:56:11 UTC
(In reply to comment #9)
> (In reply to comment #8)
> > Geert, your issue is unrelated to a restore from backup, right?
> 
> moreinfo as per my question.

This affects me, and I have never restored a backup.
Comment 11 Nick A 2010-01-22 20:58:53 UTC
This happens to me when using Skype (the only IM I am using currently).

I can produce some logs if needed/instructed how.
Comment 12 Jörgen Scheibengruber nokia 2010-01-22 22:40:27 UTC
Do the contacts unmerge "completely" or are the skype/gtalk contacts simply
reappearing. I.e. after the unmerge, do the old contacts still have the
skype/gtalk username?

And is this always happening in combination with MfE?

MfE cannot synch gtalk/skype-usernames. So if during the MfE synchronization, a
contact on the N900 gets deleted and then recreated based on the copy in
Exchange, then the gtalk/skype-username goes missing an the contacts will
consequently get unmerged.

Cases where this might happen are:
a) If a contact is modified both locally and in MfE, and MfE is configured to
use server-side information on conflicts
b) When doing a full-sync, there will be usually a lot of conflicts
c) After back-up & restore, MfE will sometimes need to do a full-sync
Comment 13 Nick A 2010-01-22 23:20:37 UTC
The contacts unmerge completely.  There is no remnant of the skype username in
the original user.

As for the MfE problem, it did not happen to me when using M4E on the PR 1.0,
only since the upgrade to PR 1.1 so I am not sure why that would be.

I will try testing later to see if just doing a m4e sync affects this at all,
or if it is only signing in/out of skype.  I will run a bunch of tests and post
my results some time this weekend or monday.
Comment 14 Peter Oliver 2010-01-23 03:25:46 UTC
Created an attachment (id=2103) [details]
Duplicated account screenshot

(In reply to comment #12)
> Do the contacts unmerge "completely" or are the skype/gtalk contacts simply
> reappearing. I.e. after the unmerge, do the old contacts still have the
> skype/gtalk username?

I'm experiencing this with the Facebook plugin from
http://pidgin-facebookchat.googlecode.com/files/libfacebookarm-1.64.so, via
telepathy-haze.  I find that the unmerged contact still displays the Facebook
account.  If I remerge the contacts, the Facebook account is listed once. 
However, when it later unmerges again, it is then listed once per previous
merge attempt (in case this is not clear, I have attached a screenshot).
Comment 15 Nick A 2010-01-25 19:36:29 UTC
I disabled contact sync on mail for exchange and the same problem kept
happening.  It seems (from my experience) to have to do with the skype account
re-checking for contacts on re-connect to skype, or removing them on disconnect
(If I manually turn off the connection to skype, the skype info for all
contacts disappears).

Also, please update the version on this to 1.2209.51-1 as it occurs with this
fw.
Comment 16 Nick A 2010-01-31 18:39:47 UTC
Not sure if this is the same for everyone, but mine has stopped unmerging
contacts.  Not sure what has changed, but I am doing everything the same.
Comment 17 Andre Klapper maemo.org 2010-02-02 16:48:54 UTC
So we have a few reporters here, and I'm a bit afraid that several issues (also
with 3rd party apps) get mixed here into one report.

Can everybody please post the additional software that is installed, the IM
accounts, which of them are online, and the exact IM services involved in this
issue? Thanks!
Comment 18 devbike 2010-02-03 18:40:53 UTC
I'm seeing similar behavior, but my unmerge isn't a true "unmerge". It's more
of a duplication.

If I merge two contacts (say, phone and IM) and perform the "sign-in, sign-out,
sign-in, maybe reboot" dance I get two copies of the contact: One with both
phone and IM data and one with *just* IM data. Additionally, the presence
indicators no longer work for the merged account and only work with the "pure"
IM contact.

I've seen this issue since day 1 with PR1.0 (still with 1.1). At that time I
only had a single connection to a private Jabber server (with transports to
AIM/Gtalk on the server side).

While I did initially import my contacts using MfE from my Google account, I've
since deleted that MfE profile and do NOT have MfE synching contacts anywhere.
MfE *is* synching to a separate mail/calendar source (exchange 2007).

I currently am using a private Jabber server (built-in XMPP), Skype (built-in)
and Google Voice (TheOneRing; extras-dev).
Comment 19 Andre Klapper maemo.org 2010-02-03 18:55:28 UTC
*** Bug 8786 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 20 lomo 2010-02-10 10:31:00 UTC
For me it's also a duplication (PR1.1), but I'm experiencing this only with
telepathy-extras (v0.8 from extras-testing) and facebook account. I'm using
skype, icq, gtalk and facebook. For the first three IM services I have not
experienced this duplicating yet, so my issue can be related to the plugin
itself. But the behavior is the same as the one devbike is experiencing.
Comment 21 Uwe Kaminski 2010-02-10 11:38:43 UTC
(In reply to comment #17)
> Can everybody please post the additional software that is installed, the IM
> accounts, which of them are online, and the exact IM services involved in this
> issue? Thanks!

Extra (possibly more or less involved) Software:
* syncevolution 0.9.2-3(only used on refresh-from-client mode so it should not
touch the contacts)
* Extra protocol plugins for conversions and contacts 0.8
* File transfers 0.1
* FriendStatus 0.7-1
* hermes 0.2.3
* Link-local XMPP protocol plugin for conversions and contacts 0.8

This bug happens for me at least for skype contacts. I'll add more if I notice.

I am using xmpp,sip,googletalk,skype and facebook accounts when online.
Comment 22 Uwe Kaminski 2010-02-10 19:54:27 UTC
*** Bug 8849 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 23 sensaitate 2010-02-10 21:32:34 UTC
We need a smart merge utility that looks at the first & last names in the
contact list & merges them wherever there is a match. So that these 3 seperate
entries:
1. Skype name John Smith
2. MSN IM: John Smith
3. Facebook IM: John Smith

become just one entry:
1. John Smith
Skype: John.smith
MSN: johnsmith@live.com
FB: JSmith@yahoo.com

Currently you have to find John Smith in your contact list then select all his
seperate entries in the phone book to merge them.
And then go & do the same thing for James Smith and Jim Smith as well.
Comment 24 lomo 2010-02-10 22:39:10 UTC
(In reply to comment #23)
> We need a smart merge utility that looks at the first & last names in the
> contact list & merges them wherever there is a match. So that these 3 seperate
> entries:
> 1. Skype name John Smith
> 2. MSN IM: John Smith
> 3. Facebook IM: John Smith
> 
> become just one entry:
> 1. John Smith
> Skype: John.smith
> MSN: johnsmith@live.com
> FB: JSmith@yahoo.com
> 
> Currently you have to find John Smith in your contact list then select all his
> seperate entries in the phone book to merge them.
> And then go & do the same thing for James Smith and Jim Smith as well. 
This might be sometime handy, but it does not solve the issue. Often you the IM
account does have nickname only.

You could export the addressbook to vcards, merge it by yourself and then
import the addressbook back to the device.
Comment 25 Felipe Contreras 2010-02-24 03:31:14 UTC
There's no need to check for the name.

X-MSN;TYPE="msn-pecan";X-OSSO-VALID=yes:foo@bar.com

Supposing the internal structures are similar to the vcard, all you need to do
is check for X-MSN and the id (foo@bar.com); if the two match, then it's the
same contact.

In theory you can add that field information before setting up your MSN
account, and when you login the contact would be automatically merged.

(the TYPE field is irrelevant)
Comment 26 accounts 2010-03-16 04:15:06 UTC
Hi I have the same or a simular Bug. I just wanted to know if they really
unmerge or if the im accounts gets created again. In my case the facebook
plugin creates the same account even though already merged into another
contact. Is this the case with all im plugins? Because for me the ICQ Plugin
works as expected.

I can only imagine that there must be something wrong with the check if the
account was already created.
Comment 27 James 2010-04-20 01:07:11 UTC
I have this problem with my device.
I have gtalk, facebook, and skype accounts setup.
It seems that facebook contacts demerge leaving a new contact with just the
facebook id, and the full account with other contact information separate.
In particular i'll mention that in the main contact one or more entries will
appear named as "Facebook", whereas the demerged entry will have a sole entry
named "Facebook IM" and "Nickname".

Hope this is useful info to someone. I'm happy to include relevant information
needed to fix this bug. It's particularly annoying. Thanks.
Comment 28 Marco Barisione 2010-04-20 01:34:37 UTC
(In reply to comment #27)
> It seems that facebook contacts demerge leaving a new contact with just the
> facebook id, and the full account with other contact information separate.

Are you using the facebook plugin from haze? If yes stop doing that :)
That was needed as a dirty workaround, but now facebook supports Jabber/XMPP,
so you can just configure it as a Jabber server.
Comment 29 James 2010-04-20 01:49:20 UTC
(In reply to comment #28)
I was originally, and I suppose I had thought this got upgraded somehow.
However:
cat /usr/share/osso-rtcom/facebook.profile
Manager=haze
Protocol=facebook
...

Should I delete/re-add my facebook account to fix ?
(I realize this is not a forum, sorry)

> (In reply to comment #27)
> > It seems that facebook contacts demerge leaving a new contact with just the
> > facebook id, and the full account with other contact information separate.
> 
> Are you using the facebook plugin from haze? If yes stop doing that :)
> That was needed as a dirty workaround, but now facebook supports Jabber/XMPP,
> so you can just configure it as a Jabber server.
>
Comment 30 Marco Barisione 2010-04-20 02:43:52 UTC
Go to http://www.facebook.com/sitetour/chat.php and press "Other". Use the
Jabber ID as your username and your normal facebook password. That's it :)
Comment 31 Rüdiger Schiller 2010-04-27 12:10:38 UTC
This just happened to me with icq and a while ago with haze, re matching icq is
a pain as it does show the icq# instead of a user set nick in the contacts.
And after matching all the contacts have double entries.
Comment 32 Andre Klapper maemo.org 2010-05-05 03:21:44 UTC
I can also confirm duplication/triplication of contacts after enabling an ICQ
account.

Hmm, now is this a Maemo software issue or a 3rd party issue?
Comment 33 manuel.kirsch 2010-05-05 16:30:48 UTC
Very sure it's a Maemo Software issue:
Before contacts were added automatically (when enabling account), it only has
to be checked if buddy already in contacts. Should be one additional line of
code...
Comment 34 James 2010-05-05 16:35:21 UTC
This still happens to me even with the jabber based facebook.
It would now be nice to have a feature to "semi-auto merge" since huge contact
lists now need to be re-sewn together.
Also, many contacts have duplicate information after manual merges that I have
done. detecting for identical information in vcards and removing that would
also be appreciated.
Thanks for working on this.
Comment 35 Ilya Fomin 2010-05-12 14:38:13 UTC
I'm on 1.1.1 and I'm facing this (contact duplication) often with Twitter and
sometimes with Facebook. For facebook I'm blaming Hermes, but Twitter started
remerging even before I installed hermes. Hermes also made duplicated
Facebook/twitter accounts in each contact it processed, I mean several contacts
had 2-3 same facebook accounts in their profile.
As an addition, when I had to delete/add ICQ account due to some haze issue,
all ICQ contacts duplicated as well.

I've found a workaround for all those issues that makes remerging a bit
simplier:
1) Go online in all IMs you've got set up in conversations
2) Go thru all your "proper" contacts (not im-ones) and click all IM buttons
that don't show presense status
3) On each click you see a popup message proposing to choose an IM account for
this service. Choose it.
4) This does 2 things
     a) Removes duplicated IM account fields in this particular contact
     b) Merges "unproper" IM-only account back into this contact

I hope the above instruction will simplify remerging for someone. Works best
for non-english locales, where you got contact names spelled in your native
language and most of nicknames spelled in english.

Having said the above, I see that contact unmerging can have multiple root
causes and it would take a while to identify and fix them all, however, a
simple workaround can be implemented to act as following:
1) User goes online in IM account(s)
2) IM system is trying to add some records to address book (some of them might
be duplicates, which would lead to contact unmerging)
3) A popup message is displayed alerting user about IM account trying to add
records to address book. User should have options to "allow", "deny", and
"allow  and perform automerge". The last option should trigger workaround I
described above in automated way, i.e. for each added IM account search address
book for a contact that has the same IM account details and merge them if
found.
4) Summary is displayed with numbers of added and merged accounts. In case of
merge conflicts there should be an option to cycle through them to resolve.
Comment 36 Marco Barisione 2010-05-12 14:47:55 UTC
I think this bug ended up being a pile of several different issues.

If you use the default pre-installed CMs (jabber, gtalk, skype and facebook
through XMPP) then unmerge should not happen, but I fixed some bugs about this
after PR1.1 was released. The main cause of unmerging is adding a contact
spelled in a non canonical form (FOO@example.Com instead of foo@example.com).
This should be fixed (internal bug #136941) and work fine in PR1.2.

For open CMs things are a bit different.
The haze facebook CM is not supported and should not be used now that facebook
can be used through XMPP.
MSN using both butterfly and haze should work fine (that is, I use it and never
noticed problems) as long as the ID you use is the canonical form used by the
server too (I guess you could have problems if you use non-MSN contacts with an
MSN account, always because of the normalization issues).
For twitter I don't know and I never tried (yes, I should).
For ICQ I cannot even connect to an ICQ account from my PR1.2 device, so I
couldn't test. I will try again when the haze author will be back in the
office, so I can just ask him :)
Comment 37 Rüdiger Schiller 2010-05-12 14:56:28 UTC
(In reply to comment #35)
> 4) This does 2 things
>      a) Removes duplicated IM account fields in this particular contact
>      b) Merges "unproper" IM-only account back into this contact
> 
> I hope the above instruction will simplify remerging for someone.

Been there done that, doing this and having a closer look gave me a contact
which got at the first view only one ICQ account but the second view by
pressing the edit button shows that there are 2 identical entries just not
showing as it attaches in some way. So an export of that contact would be
interesting. What happens if you did this to your contacts and you import a
backup of all contacts, does it fix the doublets or separate again? (Sorry I
didn't try myself but this just came to my mind by now)
Comment 38 Ilya Fomin 2010-05-12 15:20:08 UTC
(In reply to comment #37)
> Been there done that, doing this and having a closer look gave me a contact
> which got at the first view only one ICQ account but the second view by
> pressing the edit button shows that there are 2 identical entries just not
> showing as it attaches in some way.

Just checked - same for me, 2 identical fields in edit while only one shows on
contact page. Never tried backup-restore trick, but will have to once PR1.2 is
out - plan on reflashing anyway. Will update this tread then.

Regardless of whether the causes of this bug are fixed it's a good idea to have
an automerging something in app/plugin/daemon form, because I see usecases when
unmerging would be imminent (e.g. you change your ICQ account and new one
contains the same contacts), and you still don't want to remerge 200 contacts
manually. If only conversations app were a bit more open-source - such feature
would already have been released.
I can't think of any good way to escalate this idea to be considered for
implementation, but maybe someone here can.
Comment 39 Marco Barisione 2010-05-12 17:03:45 UTC
(In reply to comment #37)
> Been there done that, doing this and having a closer look gave me a contact
> which got at the first view only one ICQ account but the second view by
> pressing the edit button shows that there are 2 identical entries just not
> showing as it attaches in some way. So an export of that contact would be
> interesting.

It will contain the duplicate entries. Not a big problem. The UI should filter
duplicate entries, I think thing that the editor could do it too in PR1.2.

> What happens if you did this to your contacts and you import a
> backup of all contacts, does it fix the doublets or separate again? (Sorry I
> didn't try myself but this just came to my mind by now)

Everything should just go back to the same state as you did the backup.

(In reply to comment #38)
> Just checked - same for me, 2 identical fields in edit while only one shows on
> contact page. Never tried backup-restore trick, but will have to once PR1.2 is
> out - plan on reflashing anyway. Will update this tread then.

I hope things will be fixed in PR1.2. At that point any new merging problem
should be bugs I'm not aware of, so your reports will be useful (not so useful
now as you are sadly using an old release and we did a lot of bugfixing on it
in the meantime).

> an automerging something in app/plugin/daemon form, because I see usecases when
> unmerging would be imminent (e.g. you change your ICQ account and new one
> contains the same contacts), and you still don't want to remerge 200 contacts
> manually. If only conversations app were a bit more open-source - such feature
> would already have been released.
> I can't think of any good way to escalate this idea to be considered for
> implementation, but maybe someone here can.

I wrote one ;)
But it needs some new API not available in PR1.1, so it's not public for now.
Comment 40 Rüdiger Schiller 2010-05-12 17:59:16 UTC
(In reply to comment #39)
> It will contain the duplicate entries. Not a big problem. The UI should filter
> duplicate entries, I think thing that the editor could do it too in PR1.2.
The UI should and does and it is not a big problem for maemo5! But what about
other devices? N900 is not the one and only device in universe, so is the
contacts DB... so an export needs to be filtered for doublets.
If PR1.2 fixes this, as you also say you hacked the part for auto-merges, this
needs to be set here I guess (Target Milestone).
If you want someone to test PR1.2 you got my email...
Comment 41 Marco Barisione 2010-05-12 18:33:47 UTC
(In reply to comment #40)
> The UI should and does and it is not a big problem for maemo5! But what about
> other devices? N900 is not the one and only device in universe, so is the
> contacts DB... so an export needs to be filtered for doublets.

Duplicate fields should not happen anymore with newer software.
Most of the other phones ignore the non-standard jabber, msn, etc. fields.
You are still able to delete manually the duplicates if you want as they should
appear in the delete fields dialog.

> If PR1.2 fixes this, as you also say you hacked the part for auto-merges, this
> needs to be set here I guess (Target Milestone).
> If you want someone to test PR1.2 you got my email...

I cannot give you access to that image :)
Comment 42 devbike 2010-05-12 18:46:59 UTC
(In reply to comment #36)
> If you use the default pre-installed CMs (jabber, gtalk, skype and facebook
> through XMPP) then unmerge should not happen, but I fixed some bugs about this
> after PR1.1 was released. 

For the record, (and as stated above) I've been seeing this since PR1.0 using
*only* built-in skype and XMPP. Are you saying you fixed case-sensitivity bugs
in the built-in transports? Because the contacts that are unmerging for me are
100% lower case for their emails / screen names.

Best,
Rob
Comment 43 manuel.kirsch 2010-05-12 18:59:02 UTC
(In reply to comment #41)
> (In reply to comment #40)
> > ...
> Duplicate fields should not happen anymore with newer software.
> Most of the other phones ignore the non-standard jabber, msn, etc. fields.
> You are still able to delete manually the duplicates if you want as they should
> appear in the delete fields dialog.
> 
If you delete one of the duplicates, it will remove them from the server, too!

> > ...
> 
> I cannot give you access to that image :)
> 
Is it the leaked one?
Comment 44 Marco Barisione 2010-05-12 19:05:53 UTC
(In reply to comment #42)
> For the record, (and as stated above) I've been seeing this since PR1.0 using
> *only* built-in skype and XMPP. Are you saying you fixed case-sensitivity bugs
> in the built-in transports? Because the contacts that are unmerging for me are
> 100% lower case for their emails / screen names.

At this point this change would not be go in PR1.2. So let's just wait to have
PR1.2 and you all can test again.

(In reply to comment #43)
> If you delete one of the duplicates, it will remove them from the server, too!

It should not. If a IM ID is associated to multiple contacts (or to the same
one multiple times I think) it won't be deleted from the server. The warning
dialog is inaccurate as there is no way to make it accurate without adding a
race condition.

Please notice the “should” and the “I think” in the previous sentences :)

> Is it the leaked one?

I don't know what is inside the leaked one to be honest, but I think that it's
quite outdated.
Comment 45 Ilya Fomin 2010-05-12 19:41:42 UTC
(In reply to comment #39)
> I wrote one ;)
> But it needs some new API not available in PR1.1, so it's not public for now.
> 

Thanks a lot! Now that my dreams seem to come true - maybe you've already
implemented a way to sort/modify/hide buttons in UI? Would be awesome ;)

Since PR1.2 should fix most of the issues mentioned here, I think something
should be done to this bug to filter PR1.2 issues (if any) from pre-1.2.
Keeping several issues, half of which fixed, in a single bugreport is a bad
practice.
Comment 46 Andre Klapper maemo.org 2010-05-12 19:53:09 UTC
Will take care once PR1.2 is out. Further investigation by users currently does
not sound useful - let's see.
Comment 47 Marco Barisione 2010-05-12 20:02:40 UTC
(In reply to comment #45)
> Thanks a lot! Now that my dreams seem to come true - maybe you've already
> implemented a way to sort/modify/hide buttons in UI? Would be awesome ;)

Nope, that's hard-coded :(

> Since PR1.2 should fix most of the issues mentioned here, I think something
> should be done to this bug to filter PR1.2 issues (if any) from pre-1.2.
> Keeping several issues, half of which fixed, in a single bugreport is a bad
> practice.

As Andre said we can take care of that after PR1.2 is out and see whether to
close this bug and open new ones or what.
Comment 48 Peter Oliver 2010-05-13 20:51:51 UTC
(In reply to comment #36)
> If you use the default pre-installed CMs (jabber, gtalk, skype and facebook
> through XMPP) then unmerge should not happen, but I fixed some bugs about this
> after PR1.1 was released. The main cause of unmerging is adding a contact
> spelled in a non canonical form (FOO@example.Com instead of foo@example.com).
> This should be fixed (internal bug #136941) and work fine in PR1.2.

Similarly, Facebook changed their jabber IDs to be of the form
"-12345@chat.facebook.com" rather than "u12345@chat.facebook.com"
(http://wiki.developers.facebook.com/index.php/XMPP_Release_Notes#.28beta.29_April_5.2C_2010),
which has caused all of my Facebook contacts to be duplicated.
Comment 49 Andre Klapper maemo.org 2010-05-13 21:03:45 UTC
(In reply to comment #48)
> Similarly, Facebook changed their jabber IDs

Okay as a piece of information here, but not the topic of this bug report. :-)
Facebook Jabber ID issue is better discussed in
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=52446 .
Comment 50 Marco Barisione 2010-05-13 21:16:26 UTC
Peter, totally unrelated. See
http://blog.barisione.org/2010-05/facebook-and-the-n900-address-book/
Comment 51 Rüdiger Schiller 2010-05-28 16:56:35 UTC
(In reply to comment #39)
> I wrote one ;)
> But it needs some new API not available in PR1.1, so it's not public for now.

So now everything is screwed up, contact's name shows up at
caller-list/conversations/chat tapping it gives a kind of new contact view,
merging it with the contact leads to nothing, it remains that way. other way
round IM-id shows in chat history, tapping shows the chat with contact's name
in the menubar but tapping "open contact's card" gives the new contact view,
merging does help as long as you do not close the chat window...

Is there a trick to force a whole recheck on conversation, call-history and
stuff? I try to flash and put the backup back on but I doubt it will help...
Comment 52 Andre Klapper maemo.org 2010-05-28 21:22:34 UTC
An update has been release this week (10.2010.19-1, also called PR1.2).

If you still have Contacts unmerge issues with this new version, please file
separate new bug reports with *exact* steps and configuration information.

Thanks!