maemo.org Bugzilla – Bug 6819
High CPU usage for 15 seconds after page loaded (Deleting History helps)
Last modified: 2010-03-15 20:51:23 UTC
You need to
before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
EXACT STEPS LEADING TO PROBLEM:
1. Start right after a fresh boot. Be sure you never opened the browser before
2. Open any web page, e.g.
3. Close the browser.
4. Re-open the same or any other web-page, e.g.
CPU usage is high while web page loads the second time, but drops back close to
idle as soon as web page is fully loaded.
CPU usage is high while web page loads the second time and remains high for
about 15 seconds after the page has rendered completely. During these 15
seconds, the CPU bar in the load applet hits the red area, "top" shows the
browser process at ~60% and the browserd at ~25% although there's nothing
happening the user would be aware of.
Also, during these 15secs, the browser is practically not responding to any
Always on devices that are affected (like mine).
It seems a lot of people don't *ever* see this, though.
EXTRA SOFTWARE INSTALLED:
no ad-blockers or browser-plugins other than the pre-installed ones.
Note that for me, when I open the browser for the very first time after a
re-boot, this 15-sec-freeze does *not* occur. That's why I described the four
steps the way I did. The first time I use the browser, CPU usage always drops
as soon as the page is loaded - as it should.
I tried to work through various settings (cache size up/down, cache off,
There's a thread at t.m.o. about this:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; de-AT; rv:220.127.116.11)
Gecko/20091109 Gentoo Shiretoko/3.5.4
I can CONFIRM this exact behavior.
*** This bug has been confirmed by popular vote. ***
User crail from t.m.o. reported he could solve the problem by clearing the
private data from the browser.
Reading that, I tried to go through the options in "clear private data" step by
step. I found out that deleting the "browsing history" is enough to solve this
for me. No need to touch cache, cookies etc.
(In fact, I started with deleting the cache first because I thought the cache
is more likely to be the culprit. Deleting the cache didn't help at all. It was
My experience is similar, clearing out the history really made a difference to
my CPU load and general responsiveness.
I just wanted to point out another user's thread on TMO where (presumably) this
high CPU was hurting interactivity, again solved by clearing history:
Thanks for the investigations!
I can confirm this issue with my N900. If the music is playing you can bet the
music will stutter.
thanks for the report, we believe we have a fix for this.
we do not expect it will be available in the coming service release (which
people can test as 51-1), but hopefully it will be in the following one.
Good to see progress is being made on this.
Does this fix also correct the problems with history and thumbnails, that were
documented in the original thread for this problem ?(
Also, does this bug also correlate to the high cpu usage for 5-10 seconds after
placing the cursor in text boxes on websites, or does that need to be created
as a separate bug ?
(In reply to comment #8)
> Does this fix also correct the problems with history and thumbnails, that were
> documented in the original thread for this problem ?(
Do you mean https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5684 ? I don't see any
progress on that one.
Best to assume that all issues are separate (& need separate bug reports)
unless a developer tells us otherwise
This bug is very clearly related to history. A problem with text fields would
almost certainly be entirely unrelated. Cluttering this bug with questions
about it is unwelcome and hurts the ability for this bug to be fixed or
analyzed or whatever. If you have questions about how to use Bugzilla, please
ask on irc.freenode.net in #maemo-bugs
One thing we absolutely do *not* want is one generic bug "Browser is slow" and
one generic bug "Browser crashes". If we did that, we'd only need 5 bugs, and
we'd never be able to close them. There are a couple of system (reboot) bugs
which have been hijacked and suffer from this problem.
Oskar: thank you very much for your bug report and the analysis. I'm very sorry
to have had to pollute this bug and I hope never to have to do it again in this
bug tracker (although this is unrealistic).
PeteC: when we have a happier update, we'll indeed provide it in that bug.
Thank you for your patience.
> My experience is similar, clearing out the history really made a difference to
> my CPU load and general responsiveness.
-> performance keyword.
fixed @ 2010.02-6
Setting explicit PR1.2 milestone (so it's clearer in which public release the
fix will be available to users).
Sorry for the bugmail noise (you can filter on this message).