maemo.org Bugzilla – Bug 5419
WiFi password shows up in auto-completion
Last modified: 2010-03-02 14:06:53 UTC
You need to
before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
(Control Panel > General > About product)
STEPS TO REPRODUCE THE PROBLEM:
Add a protected wireless network.
Open a window with text auto-completion (e.g. chat window)
Type the first char of the psk in the text input.
Text is auto-completed using dictionary word.
The wireless password is used for autocompletion.
EXTRA SOFTWARE INSTALLED:
I have found a my password in all lower-case in
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux armv7l; en-GB; rv:1.9.2a1pre)
Gecko/20090928 Firefox/3.5 Maemo Browser 22.214.171.124 RX-51 N900W
Thanks for reporting this.
Does this also happen in other apps?
You tried this with "Conversations"?
Asking as I cannot confirm this here.
grep -r "password" .osso/dictionaries/.personal.dictionary
does not include my WiFi password.
Would be great if another one or two persons could test this with the N900 and
(Note to myself: Also see int-136775).
I've tried it in 'Notes', in 'Calendar' (Title field in 'New Event') and
Conversations ('New SMS and 'New IM'). They all behave the same way.
Can't reproduce it either with three different WPA passphrases. Jeroen: are
you using WPA or WEP? Did you enter the password manually?
The password is for a WPA network that I configured manually in Settings.
I have been trying to get another password in there, but I can't reproduce that
part any more.
I could not reproduce this in version 1.2009.41-10 but I have noticed same
problem with password fields used in Password Safe.
When I add new password there this password is automatically added in auto
completion database. I don't yet make bug against Password Safe as the problem
might be some other part in the system as this bug hints.
I was also seeing this (auto-completion was suggesting things entered as
After the recent updates to Password-Safe (two since the Summit?) I am no
longer seeing this behavior.
This implies that this could be a Password Safe issue.
(In reply to comment #0)
> EXTRA SOFTWARE INSTALLED:
Jeroen, do you have Password Safe installed?
PasswordSafe did not use hildon_gtk_entry_set_input_mode before v1.5.5b.
Does anybody know if the default input method includes
that could explain this ...
> Jeroen, do you have Password Safe installed?
No, I do not have Password Safe installed.
Did you use the hardware or the finger keyboard to enter that password?
I believe I used the hardware keyboard to enter the password.
I think that I have found way how to reproduce this and I hope that some one
can confirm this.
STEPS TO REPRODUCE THE PROBLEM:
1. Go to settings and start to make new Internet connection.
2. Select pre-shared WPA key and click Next.
3. Now use Sym+Backspace to go task switcher.
4. Start Web browser and select some big site e.g. Facbook or Engadget.
5. While web browser is downloading that site switch back to Internet
6. Write WPA password to that field and save settings.
7. Close settings windows and go to Notes application.
8. Start to write your WPA password and it appears as an auto completion
I noticed this first with Password Safe but it's not Password Safe problem as
it happens also when setting WPA key. Using grep for ".personal.dictionary"
doesn't show those passwords in that file for some reason.
Password Safe might be a bit easier way to reproduce this. With it you have
also one nasty feature if you start loading some big website and then switch to
Password Safe to check what your password for that site was, you get password
auto completion after few first characters. It works if you use lower case
I'll take a look into that. Thank you.
I can confirm this issue. I configured my wifi network, entered the WEP key,
and now when I type the first character of the key I see part of the key in the
I have no third-party software installed.
This *should* be fixed for the next feature release (internally called "PR1.1")
as it is not reproducible anymore. It's not 100% sure though that it's fixed.
After PR1.1 has been published, please feel free to confirm/reopen.
Note that dictionary data in Maemo5 is stored in the files
In order to check whether this is still an issue you probably want to remove
the passwords from these files which is only recommended for advanced users
(e.g. by using vim, or ssh'ing to use a UI text editor).
Also see bug 2247.
*** Bug 7734 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
The problem reported here should be fixed in the update released today for
public: The Maemo5 update version 2.2009.51-1 (also called "PR1.1" sometimes).
Please leave a comment if the problem is not fixed for you in this update
Not an issue anymore in PR1.1