maemo.org Bugzilla – Bug 3178
Developer documentation portal needs revision
Last modified: 2009-04-24 17:34:22 UTC
You need to
before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Developer documentation portal at https://maemo.org/development/ needs
revision. In the first instance, the documentation needs a decent edit to
shorten the text, and get to the really interesting resources for a developer
An example of a developer documentation site which works well is
http://library.gnome.org/devel - we need to have this level of ruthlessness in
making content useful to prospective developers.
Questions developers ask themselves when coming to the site, and the resources
* How do I do <task>? -> Guides and tutorials
* What does <library call> do? How should I use it? -> API reference
* How can I get started developing something? -> Guides, platform overview,
sample code, developer tools
In fact the developer story is pretty simple.
Documentation (latest stable):
- Quickstart Guide - intro + links to the 101 relevant destination points.
- Manual - will come with Diablo integrating all the separate HowTos.
- Training materials - thick PDFs, all free.
- Architecture - good candidate to be fully wiki-zed.
- Link to the wiki for the unstable & community stuff.
- Latest stable SDK - Today latest Chinook.
- Latest unstable - Today maemo SDK+ project
- Offer for those with focus on Python, Eclipse, Anjuta...
- Link to list of additional tools for debug, performance...
- Link to wiki page with all what the community has to offer.
Always making clear the diffwerence between Nokia deliveries and community
The usual suspects are:
- Linux Desktop developers with an interesting porting developing apps for the
- Windows users interested in development for the tablets via Python or
- Mobile developers with a Symbian/S60 or .NET or Java background.
- People interested in widgets, themes and more UI centric development.
It would be more practical to have this as a wiki page task. Listed at
http://wiki.maemo.org/100Days/Sprint3#.28Re.29New.28ed.29 and setting to Medium
to be proposed in the Sprint3 review meeting.
fwiw this is now a task listed at
Will this be handled within http://wiki.maemo.org/100Days/Sprint4 (before
2008/09/02) and if so, who exactly is the assignee? "firstname.lastname@example.org"
doesn't look like a human individual. ;-)
Otherwise please set priority to LOW.
http://wiki.maemo.org/Task:Content_Cleanup#Development has been committed for
the October sprint. Setting priority as HIGH.
What's the best place to gather this together? Bugzilla seems like a good place
to track progress, but not for discussion or drafting content.
I suggest following in the path of the community page, and using
"Task:Improving_maemo.org/Development" for the job.
I have made a proposal for the content of a new Development portal in the wiki,
which has so far received no feedback. This is now delaying on mock-ups and
Just a note: I did my homework and provided feedback. :)
Sorry - I'd missed that. A nice feature would be when watching a page to
automatically watch all sub-pages (MoinMoin page watches work this way, through
Just an additional comment to point out that some progress has been made at
http://wiki.maemo.org/Task:Improving_maemo.org/Development - proposed content
is more or less final, and a wire-frame of the page is available. A designer is
working on laying out the page according to the new in-progress maemo.org
Just a comment to say this bug will stay open until the new website design is
Closing as FIXED - see http://maemo.org/development for new development page.