Bug 2793 - iSync (Mac Addressbook syncing) support is missing
: iSync (Mac Addressbook syncing) support is missing
Status: RESOLVED WONTFIX
Product: Contacts
General
: 5.0/(2.2009.51-1)
: All Mac OS X
: Low enhancement with 26 votes (vote)
: ---
Assigned To: rtcomm@maemo.org
: contacts-bugs
:
:
:
:
  Show dependency tree
 
Reported: 2008-01-16 23:55 UTC by Kare Nuorteva
Modified: 2012-03-24 11:44 UTC (History)
18 users (show)

See Also:


Attachments


Note

You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.


Description Kare Nuorteva (reporter) 2008-01-16 23:55:12 UTC
STEPS TO REPRODUCE THE PROBLEM: Syncronise contacts from Mac Address Book to
N810 Contacts.

EXPECTED OUTCOME: Address Book contacts should be synchronised to Contacts.

ACTUAL OUTCOME: N810 does not provide support for iSync.

REPRODUCIBILITY: always
(always/sometimes/once)

EXTRA SOFTWARE INSTALLED: none

OTHER COMMENTS: It is a bit of a pain to copy all contacts manually and keep
them up to date.
Comment 1 Andre Klapper maemo.org 2008-06-17 15:44:03 UTC
No reason for high priority here.
Comment 2 Andre Klapper maemo.org 2008-10-07 16:49:55 UTC
(Removing deprecated "Future" Target Milestone.)
Comment 3 Quim Gil nokia 2008-10-13 08:57:44 UTC
Hi, this is not a top priority for us but we are indeed considering it. There
are still possibilities to have it in Fremantle but they are not confirmed.

We will post here any news realted to this feature.
Comment 4 Javier Jardón 2009-03-30 19:09:32 UTC
Still valid in 4.1.3 (5.2008.43-7) maemo release
Comment 5 Andre Klapper maemo.org 2009-11-12 15:03:39 UTC
Can somebody re-check the situation in Fremantle now that shipping of the N900
has been started (and update the Version field)?
Comment 6 Jörgen Scheibengruber nokia 2009-11-12 16:51:05 UTC
Still valid for Fremantle. Since all the basic ingredients are there (both
sides talk SyncML over bt/usb) there is a small chance that this might be
supported in a post-sales release, but I would not hold my breath. Product
management has clearly expressed that OSX has low priority.
Comment 7 Andre Klapper maemo.org 2009-11-12 16:53:34 UTC
Thanks for the update!
Comment 8 Mathias Hasselmann maemo.org 2009-11-12 21:49:34 UTC
Which self respecting Apple fan actually would buy something else but an
iPhone?
Comment 9 Darren Long 2009-12-01 21:01:54 UTC
I'm disappointed to find that Nokia don't see the need to provide compatibility
with iSync. We've got a flasher on the Mac, and after spending  £500 for a
phone-thing, I'd expect to be able to sync my contacts too, as well as reflash
the device.  As for the iPhone comment, I wouldn't have thought that bugzilla
was the place to take the mick out of customers - there's TMO for that.
Comment 10 Mathias Hasselmann maemo.org 2009-12-02 01:52:52 UTC
(In reply to comment #9)
> As for the iPhone comment, I wouldn't have thought that bugzilla
> was the place to take the mick out of customers - there's TMO for that.
> 

Appologizes if you consider my comment offending.
Comment 11 Darren Long 2009-12-02 02:10:15 UTC
Mathias, no worries as I'm not really a Mac fanboy :)

Its just that I have a nice big shiny nix laptop that happens to have all my
contacts on, unlike my N900.  To make up for going off topic, I've voted again
for this bug.
Comment 12 Mathias Hasselmann maemo.org 2009-12-02 15:19:47 UTC
(In reply to comment #11)
> Mathias, no worries as I'm not really a Mac fanboy :)
> 
> Its just that I have a nice big shiny nix laptop that happens to have all my
> contacts on, unlike my N900.  To make up for going off topic, I've voted again
> for this bug.
> 

Like Jörgen pointed out in comment #6, this feature would be a nice target for
a Maemo Extras application. Maybe you can find some comrades for such a project
at talk.maemo.org? Should be the quicker way for solving the problem. I am
available for Maemo related questions if such a project should get started.
Comment 13 Ralph Angenendt 2009-12-02 15:59:37 UTC
(In reply to comment #12)

> Like Jörgen pointed out in comment #6, this feature would be a nice target for
> a Maemo Extras application. Maybe you can find some comrades for such a project
> at talk.maemo.org? Should be the quicker way for solving the problem. I am
> available for Maemo related questions if such a project should get started.

I think this bug tracker may be the wrong place for this anyway, but there
doesn't seem to be any possibility to reach through to Nokia's iSync group :)

The plugin for OS X is already there (the iSync plugin), it "just" needs
support for the N900. As the plugin isn't open source, I don't see how this can
be a project for Maemo Extras (as this needs to be done on the OS X side of
things). 

Syncing against Linux shouldn't be a real problem, as syncevolution exists.
Comment 14 Matt Johnston 2009-12-02 16:04:34 UTC
If the SyncML on the n900 is fairly normal then Apple's "iSync Plug-in Maker"
might be able to make a N900 plugin? It comes with Xcode (I think).

http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/DOCUMENTATION/Syncing/Conceptual/TramontanePluginBuilderUserGuide/Introduction/Introduction.html
has some details.
Comment 15 Jörgen Scheibengruber nokia 2009-12-02 16:10:14 UTC
(In reply to comment #13)
> I think this bug tracker may be the wrong place for this anyway, but there
> doesn't seem to be any possibility to reach through to Nokia's iSync group :)

I don't think there is such a thing inside Nokia.

> The plugin for OS X is already there (the iSync plugin), it "just" needs
> support for the N900.

The existing Nokia isync plugins are for Symbian S60 phones. S60 and Maemo are
two very different plattforms.

> As the plugin isn't open source, I don't see how this can
> be a project for Maemo Extras (as this needs to be done on the OS X side of
> things). 

I don't think there is any magic in Nokia's plugins, the magic really happens
inside OSX isync framework. Which is closed-source. Extending it is not
trivial, since it assumes certain things that maemo currently does not provide.
Like a working interface to run AT-commands against the phone over bluetooth
and usb. Without that, you are mostly out-of-luck afaict.

> Syncing against Linux shouldn't be a real problem, as syncevolution exists.  

Syncevolution only does syncml OTA (over-the-air, i.e. a tcp/ip connection).
The N900 does not support that.

The only solution to sync linux using SyncML over BT or USB, is afaik opensync.
Which currently does not support the N900, but I guess that is possible to
change.
Comment 16 Carlos Morgado 2009-12-09 16:05:42 UTC
(In reply to comment #14)
> If the SyncML on the n900 is fairly normal then Apple's "iSync Plug-in Maker"
> might be able to make a N900 plugin? It comes with Xcode (I think).
> 
> 

I've tried Plug-in Maker and don't understand why it doesn't work. In fact,
from what N900 says about itself it should just work without a specific plugin. 
In PluginMaker I have issues getting the iSync to see the device so the
incompatibility is probably in the BT stack not SyncML. 

I remember at some point Nokia N series had issues talking to macbookpros
running 10.5. It was later fixed on a N73 firmware at least.
Comment 17 Jörgen Scheibengruber nokia 2009-12-09 16:24:18 UTC
The sales release of N900 has a bug in the AT-command parser, which ISync needs
to identify the phone.

Fortunately I can report that this bug is already fixed, and the fix should
become available in an upgrade (flashable + over-the-air) in the not too
distant future.

With that fix i have successfully been able to create a ISync plugin and sync
my N900 over bluetooth (usb not tested so far).

This does not (yet) mean that this will be officially supported functionality,
though, but is very good news for all OSX & N900 users out there i guess.
Comment 18 strank 2009-12-10 09:02:24 UTC
I'd like to have a "thanks" button in the bug-tracker...
(sorry for the noise :-) )
Comment 19 Carlos Morgado 2010-01-04 17:14:55 UTC
Any idea when the fix is going to be available ? Either production release or
developer testing release ? 

(In reply to comment #17)
> The sales release of N900 has a bug in the AT-command parser, which ISync needs
> to identify the phone.
> 
> Fortunately I can report that this bug is already fixed, and the fix should
> become available in an upgrade (flashable + over-the-air) in the not too
> distant future.
> 
> With that fix i have successfully been able to create a ISync plugin and sync
> my N900 over bluetooth (usb not tested so far).
> 
> This does not (yet) mean that this will be officially supported functionality,
> though, but is very good news for all OSX & N900 users out there i guess.
>
Comment 20 Jörgen Scheibengruber nokia 2010-01-11 16:35:05 UTC
(In reply to comment #19)
> Any idea when the fix is going to be available ? Either production release or
> developer testing release ? 

The fix on the N900 side will be in 2009.51-1 release, which should hit the
public "soonish".

Synchronization is not my domain, but product management was very interested in
my ISync plugin and I have provided instructions to them on how to create the
plugin. So I hope they'll provide an official one eventually.
But I cannot give any promise nor schedule for that. However I can make my
unofficial and completely unsupported plugin available in the meanwhile I
guess.
Comment 21 Dave Smith 2010-01-11 16:56:46 UTC
(In reply to comment #20)
> (In reply to comment #19)
> > Any idea when the fix is going to be available ? Either production release or
> > developer testing release ? 
> 
> The fix on the N900 side will be in 2009.51-1 release, which should hit the
> public "soonish".
> 
> Synchronization is not my domain, but product management was very interested in
> my ISync plugin and I have provided instructions to them on how to create the
> plugin. So I hope they'll provide an official one eventually.
> But I cannot give any promise nor schedule for that. However I can make my
> unofficial and completely unsupported plugin available in the meanwhile I
> guess.
> 

I tried today with the 44 release that was just pushed out.  iSync plugin maker
got further (it could connect to and query the phone), but all the tests failed
with this in the logs
10:15:00.729 [iSync Plug-in Maker:96491] ERROR (.channel): Ending operation
with error because it is requiring an open channel and we are not even opening!

So give it a go with 44 before the hordes descend :)
Comment 22 Jörgen Scheibengruber nokia 2010-01-11 16:59:39 UTC
The tests are failing for me as well, so that does not necessarily mean
anything. So it might indeed be fixed with 44 already.
Comment 23 Tomi R. 2010-01-14 15:08:40 UTC
(In reply to comment #20)
> (In reply to comment #19)
> > Any idea when the fix is going to be available ? Either production release or
> > developer testing release ? 
> 
> The fix on the N900 side will be in 2009.51-1 release, which should hit the
> public "soonish".
> 
> Synchronization is not my domain, but product management was very interested in
> my ISync plugin and I have provided instructions to them on how to create the
> plugin. So I hope they'll provide an official one eventually.
> But I cannot give any promise nor schedule for that. However I can make my
> unofficial and completely unsupported plugin available in the meanwhile I
> guess.
> 

Fw 51 is now out and still no sight of iSync.
Comment 24 Andre Klapper maemo.org 2010-01-14 15:24:05 UTC
Thanks for the update! For future reference, please avoid quoting the entire
former comment if not needed.
Comment 25 Jörgen Scheibengruber nokia 2010-01-14 16:52:21 UTC
(In reply to comment #23)
> Fw 51 is now out and still no sight of iSync.

Like I said earlier, there is no plan yet to officially support ISync for the
N900. Last time I talked with synchronization product management, they said
that they are still investigating the effort.

That said, I am myself a OSX user, so I spent some free-time to investigate how
difficult it would be to get this working. As a result, I can say that the
enablers are in place with the 1.1 (51-1) update, but it does not work out of
the box.

Whether Nokia goes all the way to make it work out of the box is not my
decicion.

What I can do however, is provide the community with information about the
missing pieces.

So what you will need is the following:
a) Enable bluetooth dial-up-networking on the N900
b) Create a N900 ISync plugin

a) is already available as an small app from the Maemo extras (Testing or
devel) repository
b) can be created using the ISync plugin maker, which comes with the OSX
development tools. It's fairly straight-forward; if you want to give it a try
here some tips

1. Disable USB (it does not work with the default settings for usb, and I have
no idea which are the correct ones)
2. Ignore the test-suite; I could not get a single test running
3. Use a test-account and/or backup your data before trying it out!

Disclaimer: Not officially supported by Nokia; do not install software from
maemo extras/devel unless you know what you are doing. Try these instructions
only if you know what you are doing. Try only with test-data not your real
data. Take backups.

HTH :-)
Comment 26 Dave Smith 2010-01-14 23:24:16 UTC
Taking a lead from Jörgen, I've created an initial sync plugin.  You can find
it at http://www.smithfamily.org.uk/~dgs/N900iSync/ along with the Plugin Maker
document.  It is rough and ready, it only works on Bluetooth, and I take no
responsibility for any damage it does to your data.  Give it a go if you wish.
Comment 27 Dave Smith 2010-01-14 23:24:50 UTC
Taking a lead from Jörgen, I've created an initial sync plugin.  You can find
it at http://www.smithfamily.org.uk/~dgs/N900iSync/ along with the Plugin Maker
document.  It is rough and ready, it only works on Bluetooth, and I take no
responsibility for any damage it does to your data.  Give it a go if you wish.
Comment 28 Johan Kuiper 2010-01-15 00:29:02 UTC
(In reply to comment #27)
> Taking a lead from Jörgen, I've created an initial sync plugin.  

I've tried it but I have the problem that only past items from N900 to ical are
synced. Produced this error:  [iSync:134] ERROR (.sync.DeviceDataclassManager):
could not parsed record with id Calendars:68
Comment 29 Dave Smith 2010-01-24 14:54:24 UTC
Progress made:
There is now an iSync plugin available from
https://garage.maemo.org/projects/n900isyncplugin/
This will sync as expected apart from events created on the N900 with an alarm
(which is probably the cause of c28)

The events with alarms problem is due to unexpected CRLF characters in the
alarm details that OSX refuses to parse.  I've raised a bug for this at

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8463

I have a patched version of libcalendar-backend for the N900 that corrects this
and with that installed, events with alarms sync correctly.  However, this is
an update to a Nokia system library and is not simple to install or uninstall.
Comment 30 Rajil Saraswat 2010-04-05 23:07:02 UTC
(In reply to comment #15)
> The only solution to sync linux using SyncML over BT or USB, is afaik opensync.
> Which currently does not support the N900, but I guess that is possible to
> change.
> 

Is there any reason why opensync does not work with N900. I tried opensync-0.22
with N900 but received an error

syncml-obex-client -b xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx 25 --slow-sync text/x-vcard Contacts
--wbxml --identifier "PC Suite" --dumpinfo

Received an transport error: Link Error: 0x0
Received an transport error: Unable to get answer
Received an transport error: Link Error: 0x0
Didnt receive the devinf though it was requested

Is there any information which could be useful to opensync developers?
Comment 31 Andre Klapper maemo.org 2010-04-06 13:47:56 UTC
(In reply to comment #30)
> Is there any information which could be useful to opensync developers?

This does not seem to be specific to this report. Please ask in talk.maemo.org.
Comment 32 Andre Klapper maemo.org 2010-10-25 19:00:36 UTC
(Removing misleading Target Milestone that was set by comment #3.)
Comment 33 Andre Klapper maemo.org 2012-03-24 11:44:05 UTC
The Maemo 5 User Interface and Maemo 5 platform components (e.g. libraries)
used for the N900 are considered stable by Nokia and it seems that there are no
plans for official updates currently, hence nobody plans to work on this
enhancement/wishlist request. 
(And in case you feel like discussing this situation: Nokia Customer Care or
http://talk.maemo.org would be the place to do so as you will not reach Nokia
officials in this community bugtracker - though all of this is really no news.)

Reflecting this status by setting RESOLVED WONTFIX for this
enhancement/wishlist request (see
https://bugs.maemo.org/page.cgi?id=fields.html#status for status explanations).

There is a small chance for issues in those Maemo components that are open
source: Contributed patches could be included and made available in the Maemo 5
Community CSSU updates. 
The Maemo CSSU project is run by a small team of volunteers; see
http://wiki.maemo.org/CSSU for more information.
So in case that you can provide a patch that fixes the reported problem, please
feel encouraged to file a request under
https://bugs.maemo.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Maemo%205%20Community%20SSU .
Please note: The Maemo CSSU project is not related in any way to Nokia.


( Tag for mass-deleting bugmail: [cleanup20120324] )