maemo.org Bugzilla – Bug 10700
Indefinitely tries to resend failed emails (wastes bandwidth)
Last modified: 2010-07-14 12:43:23 UTC
You need to
before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
EXACT STEPS LEADING TO PROBLEM:
1. Ensure that Gmail is setup as an email account in the email application.
1.1. Install the Dataplan Monitor application if an effective means to monitor
network traffic is not available.
2. Prepare a zip file that contains an *.exe file; this will be used as an
email attachment. For visibile results in the following steps, ensure the zip
file is at least 4 MB in size.
3. Create a new email in the email application using the Gmail account from
step 1, and attach the zip file from step 2 to the email.
4. Send the email.
The email application fails to send the email (Gmail does not enable the
sending of *.exe files), and retries a finite amount of times (3-5) and stops,
with a very visible and informative warning, until the user manually tries to
The email application fails to send the email and retries an indefinite amount
of times, eating up whatever bandwidth and network data is available to send
the failed message without any warning to the user.
EXTRA SOFTWARE INSTALLED:
no other software involved
Warning messages are severely sporadic (I only encountered one close to
deleting the offending email). There was no way to tell what was eating up the
data other than examining network traffic via xterminal. With a 4 MB file as
an attachment in a failed email, I used up about 250 MB of my 1 GB data plan in
about 24 hours connected to my provider's network over three days.
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US)
AppleWebKit/533.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/5.0.375.70 Safari/533.4
what I tried:
0. Have a GMail IMAP account configured in Modest on the N900, with "Update
Automatically" under Settings and "Update interval: 5 minutes"
1. Go to http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html
2. In the "Windows" column click the download link for "Afriakaans"
3. "File download" dialog. Click "Save to device"
4. Click "Save"
5. Wait for download to finish
6. Start Modest
7. Click "New message"
8. Send an email from your GMail IMAP account to your GMail IMAP account
with the just downloaded 7987KB "Freifox Setup 3.6.3.exe" file.
9. Get "Message moved to Outbox waiting to be sent" popup
10. From title bar click "Send & Receive" to be sure
> without any warning to the user.
At least for this first time trying to send it I cannot confirm it:
11. I get an "Unable to send" popup in the middle of the screen that does not
fade away until actively clicking it.
(In reply to comment #0)
> retries an indefinite amount of times
What are your settings in
* E-Mail > Settings > Update automatically
* E-Mail > Settings > Update when connected via
* E-Mail > Settings > Update interval
and in system-wide settings in
* Settings > Display > Backlight time-out"
* Settings > Display > Lock screen automatically"
My settings are the following:
> * E-Mail > Settings > Update automatically
This is enabled
> * E-Mail > Settings > Update when connected via
Set to 'Any connection'
> * E-Mail > Settings > Update interval
Set to '30 minutes'
> and in system-wide settings in
> * Settings > Display > Backlight time-out"
Set to '30 seconds'
> * Settings > Display > Lock screen automatically"
This is enabled
I simply cannot reproduce this problem.
I have the same settings as you have and I tried my steps again with a 13,6MB
When pressing the Send button in Modest I immediately get a "File too large to
be attached" popup which would be bug 6465 (WONTFIX).
Need better steps for this...
(In reply to comment #3)
I find it odd that you can't reproduce the problem. The steps are exactly as
they should be but I will emphasize a few very important details.
1) You have to use Gmail as the Modest email account you are testing with.
2) The zip file has to be small enough for Gmail to handle, but large enough to
notice any significant (unusual) changes in data. Especially note more upload
transfers than downloads.
3) The zip file has to contain an *.exe file.
4) You have to test this on a cellular data network, not wi-fi if you are
unable to monitor wi-fi traffic. This bug should be visible on either network.
I will try to reproduce the issue again at my convenience and report the
results here. One question I have for you Andre, is what happens on your end
when you have a failed send (not too big) that stays in your outbox?
Adjusting my steps:
0) Have a GMail IMAP account configured in Modest
E-Mail > Settings > Update automatically = enabled
E-Mail > Settings > Update when connected via = Any connection
E-Mail > Settings > Update interval = 5 minutes
2) On your desktop computer, download the Windows version of Firefox which is
an .exe file from http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html .
3) Create a .zip file out of it (Size: approx 8.01MB).
4) Transfer that .zip file on your N900.
5) Start Modest
6) Click "New message"
7) In "To" field enter your GMail email address (which is also the sender)
8) From the title menu bar choose "Add Attachment" and add the .zip file
9) Send it
10) Get "Message moved to Outbox waiting to be sent"
11) After some time get a popup saying "Unable to send" on my N900.
12) Click it away.
Trying to send the .zip attachment from my desktop computer running GNOME
Evolution 2.28 to my GMail IMAP account I get an error:
DATA command failed: Our system detected an illegal attachment on your message.
Please visit http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=6590 to
review our attachment guidelines. 24sm31109682bkr.7