maemo.org Bugzilla – Full Text Bug Listing
|Summary:||internet connection settings aren't followed if 2 APs configured|
|Product:||[Maemo Official Platform] Connectivity||Reporter:||ossipena <peltsip>|
|Status:||RESOLVED WONTFIX||QA Contact:||connectivity-general-bugs|
|Priority:||Unspecified||CC:||andre_klapper, luke, nicolabritz, peltsip, ravi.dhupar, tri|
|Bug Depends on:||9476|
SOFTWARE VERSION: (Settings > General > About product) EXACT STEPS LEADING TO PROBLEM: (Explain in detail what you do (e.g. tap on OK) and what you see (e.g. message Connection Failed appears)) 1. have two gprs/3g access points configured (fMMS) 2. set the data access point as the connection that is connected automatically 3. reboot or do something similar EXPECTED OUTCOME: selected ap is activated and connected ACTUAL OUTCOME: the other ap is activated and connected REPRODUCIBILITY: (always, less than 1/10, 5/10, 9/10) always, 5/5 EXTRA SOFTWARE INSTALLED: fapn plus a lot stuff from extras testing OTHER COMMENTS: this bug could be also assigned to fAPN because multiple 3g aps can't be configured by default User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux armv7l; fi-FI; rv:1.9.2a1pre) Gecko/20091127 Firefox/3.5 Maemo Browser 1.5.6 RX-51 N900
(In reply to comment #0) > 1. have two gprs/3g access points configured (fMMS) s/fMMS/fAPN ? :-) Sounds a bit similar to bug 9476 and might have the same underlying issue.
yes apn is created with fAPN and the mechanism is probably same than in bug Andre mentioned. I have the right (original) apn visible in settings. The other (created with fAPN) that is automatically connected isn't visible but still is the primary apn that is connected always when I drop out from wlan or reboot.
*** This bug has been confirmed by popular vote. ***
I am not completely sure if this is relevant at all, but joikuspot seems to give only one option for the connection and it is the same mms apn that is connected automatically (and unwanted) mentioned above.
I need someone to confirm a method I tried that seems to work and fix the issue. I created an APN with fAPN that I named "öMMS". At least now when I left wifi coverage, the correct apn fired up instead of the usual mms apn called "mms". It could also be alphapetical or then umlaut screws things to the better.
sorry for the spam but forgot this: my internet apn is called "Saunalahti Internet". So "mms" is in front when sorting alphabetically.
I further can confirm my theory: newest fMMS creates an apn called MMS with certain settings and again the mms apn is the one that fires up after reboot, dropping out wlan etc. Hope someone else could test this too!
I am new to the N900 and the first thing I installed with FMMS and FAPN and this issue happens with me constantly. whenever connection is lost or the phone restarted, MMS is the connection it connects to despite selecting my Rogers Internet connection to connect automatically.
(In reply to comment #8) > I am new to the N900 and the first thing I installed with FMMS and FAPN and > this issue happens with me constantly. > > whenever connection is lost or the phone restarted, MMS is the connection it > connects to despite selecting my Rogers Internet connection to connect > automatically. > try renaming MMS apn to ZMMS for example(anything after R like Rogers at alphabeta). if it works, reply here and you help proving my theory.
Thanks that did work. It selected my default internet provider APN.
(In reply to comment #8) > I am new to the N900 and the first thing I installed with FMMS and FAPN and > this issue happens with me constantly. > > whenever connection is lost or the phone restarted, MMS is the connection it > connects to despite selecting my Rogers Internet connection to connect > automatically. > I am having the same issue. It automatically connects to my MMS even after naming it 'ZMMS'. My current APN name is '3 Services'
> I am having the same issue. It automatically connects to my MMS even after > naming it 'ZMMS'. My current APN name is '3 Services' > what about naming MMS apn to '4MMS'?
Tried the /opt/fmms/fmms_config.py on xterminal and it seems to have fixed. I had tried it earlier but for some reason, it did not work but tried it after rebooting and it seems to have fixed the issue. PS: Sorry I am not technically minded enough to know what that command does but it does seem to fix it.
Resolving as WONTFIX as bug 9476 is WONTFIX too. :-/ For your info: The Maemo 5 platform components are considered stable by Nokia. Only major issues have a chance of being addressed by Nokia. MeeGo Handset is where the unstable development is taking place. If you are a developer (not a "normal" end-user) feedback about MeeGo Handset User Interface issues is specially welcome, e.g. via the MeeGo bugtracker at https://bugs.meego.com