maemo.org Bugzilla – Full Text Bug Listing
|Summary:||Carrier doesn't stop attempting to send USSD codes that aren't received (automated balance receipt)|
|Product:||[Maemo Official Applications] Chat & Call & SMS||Reporter:||Sam (ABUSED BUGZILLA; ACCOUNT SUSPENDED) <o2ama>|
|Status:||RESOLVED FIXED||QA Contact:||communication-bugs|
|Priority:||Unspecified||CC:||andrea, andre_klapper, lassi.syrjala, mail|
|Bug Depends on:||5357|
Balance receipt is an automated and free service from many 2G/2.5G cellular network around the world which pops up after every call or text message you send. There are 2 issues I have seen. First is that it CAN NOT be disabled from the network where it's originated and second is that it's the same (Window/Screen/Text Box) which appears while we get different info using USSD Commands. Since the USSD's message screen is unavailable, my cellular network tries to keep on sending balance receipt which N900 never gets and turns out to keep phone busy by hopeless struggles. Now the main problem is that after I make a phone call the "automated receipt" tries to pop up on the screen but N900 wont let which results as a constant buzz from my computer's monitor and speakers (The buzz you normally hear while the call is in progress OR when you're about to receive an SMS) And it wont go away till I put my phone in Offline mode. It appears that there's another problem attached to the lack of USSD command in N900
(In reply to comment #0) > ... Can you specify your operator, country, and region/city? Does it happen everywhere with your operator? Can you try another local operator with the same service (borrow a friend's SIM card)? This issue may even be a problem on the network side, so it will be helpful to have information about that as well (from your information someone will be able to determine who produced the network infrastructure and even its version. Then, it can be compared to, for example O2 UK (my operator) where the problem is not seen. It could be that N900 "rejects" such messages, and O2 network realises and stops sending them, while your network is (erroneously?) ignoring this signal. This is just a guess. Obviously needs investigation by the right people, and I'm not one of them. But they do need detailed information from you if they are to stand a chance of reproducing this (rather than giving up as they find there's no problem on, say O2 UK). If the problem is with the network, someone needs to tell them so they can fix it. This, however, obviously can't be guaranteed, as it's outside the control of the phone manufacturer.
Could be a network or a modem configuration issue. The N900 does not acknowledge the message but I am not sure if it's properly rejected either (since the modem appears to have USSD support enabled, as noted in the mother bug). Whichever the reason, this should be working correctly on the next major update where the rest of the SW stack supports USSD as well.
(In reply to comment #2) > Could be a network or a modem configuration issue. The N900 does not > acknowledge the message but I am not sure if it's properly rejected either > (since the modem appears to have USSD support enabled, as noted in the mother > bug). > Whichever the reason, this should be working correctly on the next major update > where the rest of the SW stack supports USSD as well. Hi Lassi. I am using N900 in Saudi Arabia where there are 3 cellular operators. All of them are 2.5G / 3G which means you could choose either frequency. Now adding to this whenever a user makes call, he automatically gets a balance receipt after the call which can not be disabled. Since the current firmware doesn't acknowledge the receipt message neither properly rejects it which later consequents in keeping the phone busy and that can be easily heard by any computer's speakers. Today instead of putting phone offline to prevent lousy noise i decided to wait till the USSD message is rejected. After 15 mins I received a text message from unknown sender "My Nokia" stating the following. (My Nokia: //PARU1fkgPhwEAAUbRIOdovQYEMzkyMQkAyACkpStoJ5LU1/G6Szu5) I have no idea what this message is but gladly phone went back to normal and no more sound was coming from my Computer's speakers.
Setting explicit PR1.2 milestone (so it's clearer in which public release the fix will be available to users). Sorry for the bugmail noise (you can filter on this message).