Bug 7957

Summary: Messaging doesn't display message threads (+high cpu usage)
Product: [Maemo Official Applications] Chat & Call & SMS Reporter: Andrej Krutak <andree>
Component: MessagingAssignee: rtcomm <rtcomm>
Status: RESOLVED WORKSFORME QA Contact: im-chat-bugs
Severity: critical    
Priority: Unspecified CC: andre_klapper, calumlind, eero.tamminen, tiago
Version: 5.0/(2.2009.51-1)Keywords: moreinfo, performance
Target Milestone: ---   
Hardware: All   
OS: Maemo   

Description Andrej Krutak (reporter) 2010-01-14 12:51:17 UTC
SOFTWARE VERSION:
2.2009.51-1

EXACT STEPS LEADING TO PROBLEM: 
1. Upgrade 44-1 to 51-1 (there were some 3rd party packages isntalled, I had to
use apt-get dist-upgrade)
2. Run messaging

EXPECTED OUTCOME:
Messages list is displayed, and once clicked, a particular thread is shown

ACTUAL OUTCOME:
Message list is displayed as before, but once I click a message to show the
appropriate thread, a window without messages is displayed, even after a few
minutes (and no jobs on the background). The CPU usage is ~100%, mostly used
"browserd ... RTComMessagingServer" process and Xorg...

REPRODUCIBILITY:
always

EXTRA SOFTWARE INSTALLED:
can't think of anything significant (though there were some apps from
extras-devel before the upgrade)

OTHER COMMENTS:
This is probably the same bug as in https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7956

I'm going to reflash the device - can't use it without browser, and can't wait
2 months to get it fixed by updates... Thus I probably won't be able to provide
further assistance (I'll keep the device with current firmware for today, if
any dev is interested in debugging)
Comment 1 Andrej Krutak (reporter) 2010-01-14 22:47:45 UTC
after reflashing, the problem still occured, even after using Backup restore 
function...

I finally managed to remove the issue only by performing a "rm -rf
/home/user/*"-alike command (removing ~/.rtcom-eventlogger and ~/osso* didn't
help, so no idea, where the deadlock occured)..

after doing that and restoring only some of the files/dirs (to get back at
least contacts/accounts/messages/desktop), the bug no longer seems to show
up... I have the old configuration saved - though I'm not exactly in the mood
to undertake another hour of reconfiguring..

this all could have been so much simpler, if the update was incremental -
instead of a batch one... (and if the source code was available for all of the
components, of course - well, at least now I have a reason to have look into
Mer .) )
Comment 2 tiago 2010-01-15 01:05:07 UTC
I can confirm this exact same problem. I also tried reflashing, to no avail.
Comment 3 Andre Klapper maemo.org 2010-02-02 20:00:07 UTC
Tiago: Can you please list the Extra Software that you have installed?
Is this still an issue?
Comment 4 tiago 2010-02-03 02:53:08 UTC
(In reply to comment #3)
> Tiago: Can you please list the Extra Software that you have installed?
> Is this still an issue?
> 

I have also cleanup my /home/user directory, and re-copied things one by one,
and it started working. I have no idea what may have caused it.
Comment 5 Andre Klapper maemo.org 2010-02-09 01:49:59 UTC
Weird... Closing as it cannot be reproduce anymore, but feel free to reopen if
this happens again.
Comment 6 Eero Tamminen nokia 2010-02-22 12:37:07 UTC
> I have also cleanup my /home/user directory, and re-copied things one by one,

If it's RTCom instance of browserd that's causing the issue, most likely
something like this:
  mv /home/user/.mozilla/rtcom/ /home/user/.mozilla/rtcom.old/
  <close messaging>
  kill <PID of browserd RTCom instance>
should help.

If this fixes the issue, it would be interesting to get the differences in the
rtcom/ directory contents.
Comment 7 Andrej Krutak (reporter) 2010-02-22 19:18:19 UTC
I think that month ago, when I tried removing ~/.mozilla, it didn't help... if
it repeats after upgrading to 2010.02 (or later), I'll reopen this...
Comment 8 Calum Lind 2010-10-27 10:32:34 UTC
This bug should be reopened as i had exactly the same issue when upgrading to
PR1.3. 

It was resolved by moving the rtcom directory as suggested.

As Andrej mentioned this definitely seems to be related to Bug 7956 as i saw a
similar issue at the same time
Comment 9 Andre Klapper maemo.org 2010-10-27 13:08:19 UTC
(In reply to comment #8)
> This bug should be reopened as i had exactly the same issue when upgrading to
> PR1.3. 

If you can still reproduce it please file a new bug instead as this one has
been closed for months. Thanks.