maemo.org Bugzilla – Full Text Bug Listing
|Summary:||Drops WLAN connection to Linksys WRT610N after 10-15 minutes|
|Product:||[Maemo Official Platform] Connectivity||Reporter:||Ralph Angenendt <ralph+maemo>|
|Status:||CLOSED FIXED||QA Contact:||wifi-bugs|
|Attachments:||dmesg from when the connection gets dropped|
SOFTWARE VERSION: 1.2009.42-11 EXACT STEPS LEADING TO PROBLEM: When using WLAN, the connection gets dropped after a while. If automatic connection to 3G networks is enabled, the device will connect to the 3G network. The N900 connects against a Linksys WRT610N access point. EXPECTED OUTCOME: N900 stays connected as long as it is in reach of said Router. ACTUAL OUTCOME: N900 gets disconnected. REPRODUCIBILITY: Always after around 10 to 15 minutes. OTHER COMMENTS: I tried fiddling with the WLAN options for that connections - e.g. setting powersaving to Medium instead of Strongest. The outcome is still the same.
Created an attachment (id=1657) [details] dmesg from when the connection gets dropped The connection drops at [20703.080474] slide (GPIO 71) is now closed The lines before show that the connection has been opened, associated and authenticated.
Thanks for reporting this. Kalle, I highly assume that this is the same issue as int-140075 (N900 gets deauthenticated sometimes when it sends data after being in idle mode for some time). Do you agree or is more info needed here? (In reply to comment #0) > I tried fiddling with the WLAN options for that connections - e.g. setting > powersaving to Medium instead of Strongest. The outcome is still the same. Did you also try to completely disable Power Saving Mode? (Also see bug 5708.)
(In reply to comment #2) > (In reply to comment #0) > > I tried fiddling with the WLAN options for that connections - e.g. setting > > powersaving to Medium instead of Strongest. The outcome is still the same. > > Did you also try to completely disable Power Saving Mode? > (Also see bug 5708.) Yes, disabling power saving seems to fix the issue (no disconnects during the last 90 minutes).
Thanks! This has been fixed in package kernel 2.6.28-20094802+0m5 which is part of the internal build version 2.2009.48-5 (Note that 2009 is the year and the number after is the week.) Any public update released with or after this build version will include the fix. Please verify that the new version fixes the bug by marking this bug report as VERIFIED after the public update has been released and if you have some time. For your information, Nokia does not announce release dates of updates in advance.
The problem reported here should be fixed in the update released today for public: The Maemo5 update version 2.2009.51-1 (also called "PR1.1" sometimes). Please leave a comment if the problem is not fixed for you in this update version.
The issue has been fixed for me with the firmware update.
Thanks for checking again!